Good Old-Fashioned Leek and Potato Soup

Having just got back from holiday, I was craving a bit of home comfort and leek and potato soup is one of those meals that I have enjoyed for as long as I can remember. Both my mum and grandma make exceptional versions and now I'm throwing my hat in the ring with my not-so-secret ingredient - a touch of mustard!

I like to have soup for my packed lunches at work so cooking a big batch on a weekend has become a bit of a ritual and I recommend you do the same with this as it makes eight decent portions. I always serve this simply with a good chunk of sourdough to dip in but feel free to fancy it up with a drizzle of oil, chopped chives and toasted croutons.

Good Old-Fashioned Leek and Potato Soup
Serves 8

oil
500g leek, finely chopped
2 onions, finely chopped
600g potatoes, diced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 litre vegetable stock
1 tsp wholegrain mustard
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat a good drizzle of oil in a large casserole/lidded saucepan over a medium heat. Add the leeks, onions and potatoes and plenty of salt and pepper, then cook gently, with the lid on, for 15-20 minutes. Stir every now and then to make sure the veg doesn't catch on the bottom. Add the garlic, turn up the heat and stir for a couple of minutes.

Add the stock and the mustard, bring to the boil and then lower the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes until the veg are tender. Taste and season with salt and pepper then blitz using a hand blender or food processor. Serve straight away with a chunk of bread for dipping or leave to cool and freeze in portions for up to 3 months.

Comments

Popular Posts